#Hellomyname is and #Breastscreening

Home Forums Wommen network #Hellomyname is and #Breastscreening

This topic contains 80 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Julie Stein Hodgins. Julie Stein Hodgins. 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Any clients/women/patients out there who can tell us what they think?

Senior Lecturer in Diagnostic Radiography, University of Salford

Profile photo of Shaheeda
    Shaheeda
    Keymaster

I find that more time is required for non screening patients/Clients..may be just a gentle touch on the shoulder or arm to relax the patient works wonders!💖 And possibly reassures the patient/client

Regards

S.Shaikh

Profile photo of Red
    Red
    Keymaster

I agree Geraldine. Although, we can fall into the trap of sounding like a recording,especially when screening!
    With tight times I think we risk being more minimal with communication anyway and I’m sure most women prefer to get it done as swiftly as possible. How many times in contrast do we also hear, ‘thanks so much last time I felt like a piece of meat’ not very often but, it makes you ponder. For, the lady to recall the last mammo in that way from 3 years ago?!

I believe our tone and manner is what makes the examination (and skill of course😃) And, yes our name and introduction is important, it sets the scene and keeps us in control of the examination

Profile photo of Geraldine Shires
    Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Yes, if there are any non-practitioners on the site, please join in! We would like to know your thoughts!

Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Great comments, Kerry

Friends of mine experienced breast xray..but the mammographer forgot to explain to first timers what was going to happen. THey will attend again becasue they feel that is what they have to put up with.
    How many of us take the time to explain or is the 6 minute rule to tight?

Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

I give a brief explanation to everyone, but a more detailed one to first timers and always check if they have any questions

Shaheeda
    Keymaster

Posting online with your name and profession is a good idea if trust policies allow you to do this. What do others think?

Regards

S.Shaikh

So time is not an issue?

Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Time is always an issue, but I’ve got the patter down to a fine art now!

Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Been cheeky and just copied this from Patient Opinion website (about Aberdeen breast screening) – note she mentions being told the mammogs name – so patients do notice

I attended last week for my annual mammogram following breast cancer treatment in 2010-11.

I wish to thank the radiographer for her kindness and professionalism- this is an extremely painful process due to scar tissue and other issues in the affected breast, it’s also an anxious time as there is always a fear of recurrence of the cancer. the radiographer saw me on time, introduced herself, and made the procedure as quick as possible whilst ensuring that the imaging was correct- she was reassuring and obviously had empathy for what I was going through.

I received my results this week directly from the breast care nurse- the quickest that I’ve ever had the results from a mammogram- which again has cut out a great deal of anxiety. Happily the results showed all was fine.

Profile photo of Red
    Red
    Keymaster

I agree Geraldine, it can be done. By taking the time to explain it pays off as the lady becomes more cooperative which helps loads!!
    Kerry

Profile photo of Red
    Red
    Keymaster

I agree Geraldine, it can be done. By taking the time to explain it pays off as the lady becomes more cooperative which helps loads!!
    Kerry

Shaheeda
    Keymaster

Different centres work slightly differently, some interview the clients prior to the mammogram in a seperate room whilst others have questionnaires sent with the invite and some explain the procedure in the xray room with the client covered.

Personally all have the different approaches have advantages and disadvantages.

Regards

S.Shaikh

Profile photo of Beverley Scragg
    Beverley Scragg
    Keymaster

Hello peeps, I’m Beverley and I’m late to the party, sorry!

I find that unfortunately I can’t do chit-chat whilst I’m imaging for a few reasons:

I need to get the position correct, and I like to explain not only where I want the clients to stand but also why, what I’m trying to achieve

And I also can’t risk anyone talking back to me when the image is being taken or our incredibly sensitive machines blur the image :( sad times.

Radiographer, Mammographer, Gamer, Scout...... & MUM!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.