#Hellomyname is and #Breastscreening

Home Forums Wommen network #Hellomyname is and #Breastscreening

This topic contains 80 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Julie Stein Hodgins. Julie Stein Hodgins. 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

I’m not saying it’s not important to introduce yourself but I think technical ability was more important to me then. This is completely the opposite to what I teach students though!!

Senior Lecturer in Diagnostic Radiography, University of Salford

Profile photo of Geraldine Shires
    Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

I came fairly late to the Hello my name is idea. At the beginning felt a bit like an air stewardess but now am completely used to it. It’s difficult to read name badges and patients/ clients should know who is dealing with them

Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Hi Kerry and welcome. Yes part of the skill of the job is reading what is required in a given situation!

I dont initially use assertiveness..Id rather engage with the woman and let her know that she has control over the proceedure..well at least we can negiotiate..and of course she can say ‘no’ at any time. I often hear people talk about..and the jokes..all imply the squish flattens your breast and they do not realise that I am controlling the pressure.

Profile photo of Shaheeda
    Shaheeda
    Keymaster

Yes definately Geraldine professionalism is important and a great way is to break barrier between the client and the Mammographer is to introduce yourself with a smile ofcourse and this usually relaxes the client ready for the mammogram

Regards

S.Shaikh

Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Hi Kerry, no it wasn’t my first – you’re quite right, and being a radiographer myself I knew what to expect. You sussed me out!

Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Trying to keep one eye on Bake off while typing!

Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

What about introducing yourself to clients online. Some of the mammographers we’ve worked with aren’t prepared to do that. Is it the same thing?

Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Watch it on iplayer later, Geraldine!

Profile photo of Judi Curtis
    Judi Curtis
    Keymaster

Do practitioners change their manner when imaging ‘well women’ (ie screening) and then when imaging women with symptoms or recalls? Do the latter group need a different approach?

I agree totally with you kerry. I have always I hope, introduced myself..we are engaging with women who can be nrevous about the proceedure or outcome..or are not bothered..but I xray women, not breasts! A smile goes a long way to helping ‘read’ her. However..I believe that not all women get a good enough experience. and when they do they need to be reminded to tell their friends!

Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Yes, I think all the various groups of women who attend for mammograms need a different approach. There are family history women and those who have had breast cancer previously as well

So Geraldine shared a tweet , from to day..Ill quote it..Had talk thru #hellomynameis after my Radiology appt today as it was absent 😦 Radiographer had heard of it & forgot 😕 Said TY for feedback 👍

So patients/ clients are starting to pick us up for not introducing ourselves. T

Hi
    My experience of a mammogram last year – I didn’t inform the mammographer who I was and she obviously had no idea who I was which was great. She introduced herself by name and I do remember her doing this; though couldn’t remember anything she told me as I was one of those ‘patients’ who forgets their name as they walk through the door! She was very assertive , confident and it put me at ease as I could tell she knew what she was doing.
    As a previous mammographer I agree with you Kerry connection is the key – a smile definitely goes a very long way. I also believe this confident and skilful approach is the key too.
    Claire :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.