Anxious and worried

Home Forums Wommen network Anxious and worried

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Beverley Scragg Beverley Scragg 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leslie
    Leslie
    Keymaster

Hello

I’m posting this on behalf of a service user who is struggling to post. She’s asked me to post this for her,

“Yesterday I went for my annual Mammogram, I was diagnosed with bi-lateral breast cancer five years ago and treatment was surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, herceptin and Letrozole.
    Everytime I go back to hospital all the fears come flooding back, I suffer with OCD and feel I have to check everything is OK with my treatment ie I am worried if I have done anything that will hinder my scans or Mammogram for example did I use deodorant or cream, did I take off my necklace, did I give the right date of birth ( that is because at another hospital my notes were mixed up with somebody of the same name and had like me had thyroid Cancer) I worry if my mobile phone will interfere with the Mammogram, I could go on and on.
    I am a complete worrier and people tell me to stop worrying and put your trust in the people who know what they are doing, I know they are right.
    I hope you can reassure me too.

Kind regard
    Jane McCormick

Senior Lecturer in Diagnostic Radiography, University of Salford

Profile photo of Geraldine Shires
    Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Hi Jane. I think it’s understandable after what you’ve been through that worries come flooding back when you have to attend for your annual mammogram. The mammographer will have checked everything -if you gave the wrong date of birth she would query it with you as she would have your date of birth written down. Deodorants and creams won’t interfere with your mammogram but creams can make your breasts a bit slippery so it can make the positioning slightly more uncomfortable. Mobile phones won’t interfere with the mammogram but we would encourage people to put them on silent mode as the noise can be distracting.
    I hope you will get good news when your tests have been reported on and if you have any other questions please ask.

Profile photo of Geraldine Shires
    Geraldine Shires
    Keymaster

Hi Jane. I think it’s understandable after what you’ve been through that worries come flooding back when you have to attend for your annual mammogram. The mammographer will have checked everything -if you gave the wrong date of birth she would query it with you as she would have your date of birth written down. Deodorants and creams won’t interfere with your mammogram but creams can make your breasts a bit slippery so it can make the positioning slightly more uncomfortable. Mobile phones won’t interfere with the mammogram but we would encourage people to put them on silent mode as the noise can be distracting.
    I hope you will get good news when your tests have been reported on and if you have any other questions please ask.

Profile photo of Jane
    Jane
    Participant

Thankyou for reassuring me. I also worry about not removing my necklace, but I have to have faith that the radiographer would tell me to remove it if it interferes with my mammograms.
    I hope that I will not be so worried in the future.

Profile photo of Beverley Scragg
    Beverley Scragg
    Keymaster

Hi Jane

Good to hear from you, as Geraldine says it’s really not surprising that you’re anxious when you go for your mammogram. I’d like to reassure you that although mix-ups with case notes do happen, all staff take annual training in what the NHS calls ‘Information Governance’; this is training in how to spot mistakes and correct them, and more importantly, not to make the mistakes in the first place.
    In any x-ray room, the radiographer should always ask you your name, date of birth and address – and they should be looking at your notes at the same time, checking that everything is right and spotting any mistakes. This does sound like it happens for you when you go for your mammogram, so this is reassuring.
    I hope that helps – please do ask any other questions that you can think of.

Radiographer, Mammographer, Gamer, Scout...... & MUM!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.