Age Extension Study (47-50) – share your experience

Home Forums Wommen network Age Extension Study (47-50) – share your experience

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yasmeen Yasmeen 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Yasmeen
    Yasmeen
    Participant

The NHS Breast Screening Programme routinely invites women aged 50-70 years for screening every three years. I live in an area where the breast screening unit and my GP are involved in the age extension study. So, this week, out of random, no symptoms, I decided that I would have my first mammogram as part of this study. My very first mammogram, didn’t hurt at all – which surprised me, as you hear so many stories about it hurting. I was recalled (the next day) for a possible cyst. The next day, I had a digital tomosynthesis (3D imaging), followed by a clinical breast exam and an ultrasound. The ultrasound confirmed a ‘simple cyst’, which I had drained (without local anaesthetic, it was not painful at all). I am glad I took part in the age extension trial at age 47. Everything was explained really well and the service and whole experience was positive. I would encourage women to take part in the age extension trial (47-50). I would have otherwise had to wait until age 50 for an invite.

Profile photo of Yasmeen
    Yasmeen
    Participant
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.